Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In light of the African Wild Dog's critically endangered status, there are a lot of focus studies and rehabilitation efforts in Africa at the moment. Packs are becoming more and more scarce and are mostly limited to wildlife reserves. There is a lot to love about these spindly little creatures, beginning with those lovely satellite dish ears!

During our time at Venetia, two wild dogs were habituated in a bohma (large fenced-in area used as transitional space to get the animals acquainted with both new domain and the pack). We were fortunate enough to go watch them feed on a couple of occasions.
Wild dogs are known for their keen hunting abilities. They hunt as a pack mind and communicate constantly with one another with yips and cries to bring prey down.
Unfortunately a number of factors have greatly diminished the species' numbers; the largest factor being the advancement of human population onto ever shrinking hunting grounds. They also fall victim to competition, including the lion.
Wild dogs are beautiful, complicated animals. I hope that the efforts prove to be enough to save the species.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Steph! I can't even put into words what I want to say. All I can come up with is that your adventures in Africa sound and look breathtaking. No wonder you are on your way back. Looking forward to reading more...Hanukkah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Han. T, I can't even begin to imagine what it is like. I can only marvel at your stories and pictures and hope that one day I might experience a fraction of what you've seen, heard, smelled, felt. If anyone should be there to meet the animals and love the land, it is you. I'm happy for you, with my whole heart. xo,e

    ReplyDelete