Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chris Reviewing Reserve Maps

Finally, after all the training and preparation, we were ready to go out on game drives. I'll never forget the first time we loaded up in the Mahindras (open air jeeps used for the drives--pictured below), I had the nervous excitement of boarding a huge roller coaster. I couldn't imagine actually seeing the animals of Africa outside of a caged exhibit.

Kim and Rachelle, two of my besties on drive

Venetia is magical and teaming with life. It's difficult to drive around the 35,000 hectare reserve without seeing giraffe, zebras, impala, various antelope, elephants, hyena ...you name it. I rode around in the back with my eyes peeled for anything and everything, camera at the ready in case we were to encounter something. For this post, I think I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Impala




























A Male Cheetah During a Night Drive

Adult Female Elephant

Guinea Fowl

Six Bathing Hippos and an Ox Pecker
African Wildcat
Mother and Baby Giraffe
Sweet Baby














Old and Young; The Darker Colors Mark Age


















Gemsbok Oryx (Pronounced Hembsbok); Adult Male

Horned Adder





























Zebra Mother and Young

Adult Male Kudu
Our Dusty Trail

1 comment:

  1. T, I'm SO excited you are blogging. I love your stories, your pictures, your writing, and your zest for adventure, life and the anizzzzimalias! Welcome to blogging my friend. Love you like yo mama.
    e

    ReplyDelete